Dhaka, Bangladesh
No traditional hajj this year

No traditional hajj this year

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) has formally informed Bangladesh that it would hold 'very limited' hajj this year instead of a traditional one in view of the COVID-19 pandemic situation. Saudi Arabian foreign minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud informed the decision to his Bangladesh counterpart Dr AK Abdul Momen Monday evening over phone. "Only a limited number (less than 1000, both domestic and international) of Hajjis will be allowed to perform Hajj this year," said a release, quoting the Saudi foreign minister. Terming the decision as 'wise' under the circumstances, Bangladesh foreign minister Momen thanked the Saudi Prince for his call. On Monday, Saudi Arabia announced it would hold a "very limited" hajj this year, with pilgrims already in the kingdom allowed to perform the annual ritual as it moves to curb the pandemic. "It has been decided that Hajj will be held whereby a very limited number of pilgrims from various nationalities who already reside in Saudi Arabia, would be able to perform it," the Saudi Arabian Hajj and Umrah ministry said in a statement. The decision marks the first time in Saudi Arabia's modern history that Muslims outside the kingdom are barred from performing the hajj, which last year drew 2.5 million pilgrims. -BSS

Share |